DIA Franchising Guide
Distribuidora Internacional de Alimentación, DIA, is reputed as one of the world’s biggest distribution chain of supermarkets, committed to providing quality products to a different taste of customers at minimal prices across their numerous stores in the world.
DIA has on sale in its stores, a variety of customers’ needs including small appliances, beverages, fresh and packaged foods, and other groceries.
About 48% of thousands of DIA stores spread across the world operate under DIA’s franchise model – which remains an important part of DIA’s identity.
In the course of this article, you will get adequate information on how much is a DIA franchise.
FRANCHISE INFORMATION ABOUT THE COMPANY
Distribuidora Internacional de Alimentación, S. A, (DIA) is Spanish’s international discount supermarket chain established in 1979. With thousands of DIA stores spread across international markets, the company is Europe’s third largest food sector franchisor.
DIA prides itself as a hard-discount supermarket chain operating under a minimal price policy by heavily reducing its operational costs, which is why the choice of products on sale at DIA is a narrow range of European brand names and also white-label branded DIA goods.
Since its inception, DIA has witnessed a monumental expansion to other countries including Argentina, Brazil, Greece, Turkey and China. DIA stores are also present in Portugal but under another brand name; Minipreco stores.
Recently, DIA has enlarged its base to 3 West African countries; Senegal, Ivory Coast, and Nigeria, although under the brand name ‘Citydia’.
IS DIA A FRANCHISE?
With 7000+ DIA stores being operated in different countries across the world, one might want to know if DIA is a franchise. Yes, DIA is a franchise and they have been selling their franchise opportunities since 1989.
DIA FRANCHISE INFORMATION
In 1979, DIA opened its first retail food store in Spain, since then it has grown a strong chain of 7000+ stores with more than 48% of these stores operating as franchises. Becoming a DIA franchisee is an opportunity to be in business with a market leader in the discount food retail industry. DIA on its part ensures that their franchisees enjoy a successful relationship by offering a solid partnership and support to the franchisees.
At present, DIA is seeking franchise agreement for willing parties. As a franchisee with DIA, you will benefit from their competitive business model, marketing opportunities, among others.
DIA FRANCHISE OFFER
For intending DIA franchisees, the company has two franchise models. They include:
- Neighborhood Format: these are small DIA stores conveniently sited in towns so that customers can easily find a DIA store close to their homes. The neighborhood format is the format with which DIA established in all the countries it is currently operational. While the space of a neighborhood format may not be more than 500m2, DIA strongly emphasizes that they sell fresh foods always.
- Attraction format: these are bigger DIA stores sites on the outskirts of towns and cities but with parking spaces to enable customers visit the stores in their cars. The attraction format allows the customer to get all he wants in a single shopping because the stores are large, spacious and have a wide selection of products at fair prices.
WHY BUY INTO A DIA FRANCHISE OPPORTUNITY?
Buying into a DIA franchise opportunity is quite lucrative. The company has the following on offer for its franchisees:
- NO SPECIFIED CAPITAL: DIA never specifies the amount of capital to establish its franchises. The company only takes into consideration, the location and the store format when opening a DIA store for its franchisees.
- FUNDING: DIA usually provides financing for establishing a DIA franchise store for its franchisees. Although, the funding is not an exclusive obligation of DIA.
- LOW BARRIER ENTRY: With the financing options and low initial investments requirements, opening a DIA franchise keeps getting easier.
- TRUSTED BRAND: DIA has over the years created a franchise model that will optimize your franchising success.
- STRONG SUPPORT: DIA offers excellent support to its franchisees to help them excel. The support includes Ordering systems, access to DIA suppliers, store assortment, trainings, operational and marketing support etc.
HOW MUCH DOES A DIA FRANCHISE COST?
DIA does not specify the fee for establishing a DIA franchise unit. The DIA franchise unit cost is only dependent on the country and store format of the proposed franchise.
DOES DIA OFFER FUNDING?
Yes. DIA offers financing to intending franchisees that are interested and eligible. The financing covers equipment and initial store stock for up to 60 months without any accruable interests.
DOES DIA OFFER TRAINING?
Yes. DIA offers training to all its prospective franchisees. This training is compulsory and must be satisfactorily completed by the DIA franchisee. The training includes a pre-startup training where all franchisees are provided with all the procedures and processes related with operating a DIA shop, the necessary documents and practical trainings which will be conducted in a DIA’s Academy Shop. Also, DIA provides additional ongoing training and support to their franchisees.
HOW TO OPEN A DIA FRANCHISE?
Once you have acquainted yourself with all the information you need on how to open a DIA franchise, the next step is filling out a non-binding assessment of your personal traits – the traits DIA desires in its franchisees include independence, entrepreneurial drive, passion for food retail, financial acumen, being a team player, and the willingness to comply with contractual terms.
Followed by the character evaluation, you will be invited to register your Bio data, after which you will be invited to an informational breakfast where you will learn more about the DIA franchise.
Afterwards, the DIA reps will carry out a market analysis to determine the profitability of your proposed DIA store. If you both come to terms, contracts will be signed and your application granted.